G20 Delegation at Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste

The international research centre was chosen for the only delegation visit in the official agenda of the G20 in Trieste 

start stop bwd fwd

Photo M. Goina

The international research centre Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste has confirmed its strategic role for Italy, as it was chosen for the only delegation visit in the official agenda of the G20 on "Digital Economy and Research", scheduled for 5 and 6 August. The visiting representation, made up of numerous personalities from the world of diplomacy and scientific research, saw the participation of a dozen Ministers and personalities attending the Trieste’s meeting, accompanied by their delegations. Prof. Alfonso Franciosi, Chairman and CEO, welcomed the delegation to the newly inaugurated information room in Elettra’s experimental hall, at the heart of the circular accelerator. During the short visit, the two accelerators on campus were explained: Elettra (a third-generation circular accelerator that has been operating for almost 30 years) and FERMI, the latest-generation linear accelerator operating since 2010. A special focus was given on the centre’s organisational profile and competencies, that are made available to the almost 1500 researchers from more than 50 countries submitting research projects in a wide range of scientific disciplines every year.

The two accelerators provide scientists from all over the world with continuous light on 34 beamlines, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and proactive international collaboration is already in place thanks to several partnerships with other countries and organisations (40% of research on Elettra comes from Italy, while the remaining 60% is international). FERMI - an accelerator with greater brilliance and coherence than Elettra - has 6 beamlines and is one of the three light sources worldwide making measurements and experiments with unique and very advanced characteristics

The President and CEO Franciosi recalled the countless international collaborations and active partnerships (such as those with IAEA, ICTP, Jülich Forschungszentrum, IIS Bangalore, Charles University, TU-Graz, CNR) and then focused on the opportunities to share beamlines and laboratories with national government bodies, which already happens with some countries that do not have a national synchrotron. He also mentioned the technology transfer initiatives implemented by the centre through several industrial collaborations on proprietary and patented research projects. Only few are the names and examples illustrated among corporate customers who choose and have chosen Elettra to carry out measurements and evaluate opportunities or to develop products. The fields of application are varied and range from structural biology to biotechnologies, development of new drugs, nanotech research, development and use of new materials, various medicine techniques and optical systems.
Emphasis was also placed on the project to enhance Elettra, which in 2025 will undergo a major upgrade to provide light 1000 times brighter and 50 times more coherent than today. Together with FERMI, it will make Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste a comprehensive research facility of world-class excellence, thus confirming its highly strategic role for the Italian scientific research system and in the field of technology transfer.

Italy Minister of University and Higher Education Minister Maria Cristina Messa
Italy Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri Plenipotentiary Minister Giuseppe Scognamiglio
Australia Australian Embassy in Italy Ambassador Margaret Twomey
Brasil Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation Marcos Pontes
France French Embassy in Italy French Ambassador in Italy Christian Masset
Japan Cabinet Minister of State for Science and Technology Policy  Shinji Inoue
Saudi Arabia Ministry of Education Minister of Education Hamad Al-Sheikh
South Africa Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Innovation Minister of Higher Education, Science and Innovation Bonginkosi Emmanuel "Blade" Nzimande
Ministry of Industry and Technology Minister of Industry and Technology Mustafa Varank
AU (Congo) Ministry of Scientific Research and Technology Innovation Minister of Scientific Research and Technology Innovation José Mpanda Kabangu
OECD OECD Deputy Secretary-General Ulrik Vestergaard Knudsen
UNESCO UNESCO Assistant Director General for Education  

Press release  pdf

Press Review: 

ANSA.IT, dd 09/08/2021 : G20: ministri visitano Elettra Sincrotrone di Trieste 
IlFRIULI.it, dd 09/08/2021: Una delegazione del G20 all'Elettra Sincrotrone
rainews.it, dd 09/08/2021: La luce del Sincrotrone illumina la visita delle delegazioni del G20 
Last Updated on Monday, 17 January 2022 17:43